A Mother’s Touch


October 28, 2011

As soon as my son was delivered, he was brought over to the nurses to do all of the proper tests and of course, a little clean-up. I got to see him for like a minute all wrapped up in a blanket. And of course, I got that prized c-section photo with the baby placed near my head.

Because I delivered my son at 36 weeks, he had some slight breathing issues and was taken to the NICU. I was taken to recovery where I sat for a few hours. After leaving recovery, I remember sitting in a wheelchair vomiting green fluids. I had flashbacks of all of the vomiting that occurred during my pregnancy, which was my worst nightmare. I thought if I delivered the baby, the vomiting would stop. It finally stopped after a few hours. I was vomiting because I still had a gallstone stuck in my bile duct.

After returning to my room, I slept for a few hours. When I woke up, I started asking about seeing my son. The nurse on-duty at that time told me that my doctor did not want me moving out of my hospital bed because of the c-section and the on-going issues with my gallbladder. By this time, it had been at least two days since I had eaten properly. Have you ever dealt with a mama bear? It is not property. I turned into a mama bear, because I was pretty much growling. I just wanted to be able to see, hold, and touch my baby.

A few hours later, around 11pm, my most awesome nurse from the maternity ward came by to visit me. She asked about how I was doing. I vented to her that my doctor would not let me get out of bed to see my son.  This pretty much pissed off my nurse, and she began to rant about my doctor.  I had an awesome OB-GYN but her bedside skills are somewhat lacking. My nurse left my room for a few minutes and then came back with a wheelchair.

A Mother’s Touch

My nurse went and spoke with the other nurses inside the NICU. She had gotten their okay for me to come and visit my son.  Ironically, I did not even know that the NICU was across the hall from my hospital room.  When I say across the hall, I literally mean, you walked out the door from my room and took two steps to get to the NICU.  I washed my hands and got some help getting seated into a rocking chair in the NICU. After almost twelve hours after my son’s birth, I was able to hold him for the first time.

The few minutes that I got to hold my son were completely worth all of that time I spent in pain. Seriously, pregnancy is not my friend.  But after being able to hold my son, my spirit was much better. I’m not sure how I survived not eating real food for about six days, and three surgical procedures but I did.

Childbirth is such an incredible moment, and I’d love to know what went through your mind when you held your baby for the first time? By replying, you will be entered to win an exclusive Million Moms Challenge Gift Pack, which includes an iPad2, a custom-made Million Moms Challenge pendant and a $50 donation in your name to Global Giving.

Please join the Million Moms Challenge and sign up today!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Million Moms Challenge. The opinions and text are all mine. Contest runs October 17 to November 13, 2011. A random winner will be announced by November 15, 2011.

Official Contest Rules

Share this post!